Take Time on Tuesday
October 24, 2017
- The leaves are starting to change—one of the reasons why this is my favorite time of year. You’ve probably noticed that things change in life, too. Jobs change, hours change, family situations change. We’ve had quite a few changes in our Religious Education program as well. Just when we think that we’re set with volunteers, things change. When that happens, we need to turn back to you, our families, for assistance. We are in need of substitute catechists, classroom helpers, & hall monitors for all of our session Please prayerfully look at your situation & discern if you could fill in as a substitute at some level. If so, please contact Lynn in the Religious Education Office at 302-644-7413.
- The Religious Education collection of boxed & canned foods for the St Vincent de Paul Society Thanksgiving baskets starts this weekend and runs until November 17. Each class is asked to bring in a particular item. The list of food items is attached to this e-mail. Please be generous towards those in need this Thanksgiving season!
- It’s not too late to get tickets for an evening of Christian music on November 5 at 7 PM in the Parish Life Center. Headlining the evening will be Contemporary Christian artist Jonny Diaz, brother of former Major League baseball player Matt Diaz. Also performing will be John Tibbs & Catholic songwriter & musician Josh Blakesley. Tickets are priced at $10 each and may be purchased online at com. To avoid surcharges, however, a limited number of tickets are available by contacting Mary Ellen Hearn at 302-644-2663. Please mark your calendars and join us for this special evening of music.
- As most of you know, among the areas devastated by the hurricanes over the summer were the U.S. Virgin Islands which constitute the diocese of St. Thomas. The bishop of St. Thomas, Bishop Bevard, was here at St. Jude’s earlier in the year to solicit help for his diocese. He reports that all of the diocesan buildings sustained significant damage from the hurricane. The second collection this coming Sunday will go to assist the people of the diocese of St. Thomas. In addition, a parishioner sent me a link to help individual residents of the diocese. The link is http://www.adoptafamilyusvi.com/about-us/
- Upcoming Parish Events (Please note that these are NOT Religious Education activities. These are just for your information):
- November 5: Contemporary Christian music concert at 7 PM in the Parish Life Center (see above).
- Important Feast Days Coming Up: There’s only one this week, but it’s a big one for our parish!
- October 28: Feast of Sts. Simon & Jude (We know very little about these two Apostles. St. Simon is thought to have belonged to the Zealots, a radical sect, before joining Jesus. St. Jude, the patron saint of hopeless causes, is not to be confused with Judas Iscariot).
- Answer to Last Week’s Trivia Question: Luke’s “sequel” to his Gospel is a) Acts of the Gospel. Lauren Dickinson, Dru Gerace, & Kelly Decyk “Acted” on the trivia question & gave the right answer.
- This Week’s Trivia Question:
By what other name is St. Jude referred to in the Gospels?
- a) The Obscure c) Harvey
- b) Thomas d) Thaddeus