St. Jude The Apostle Parish Library
The goal of the Library Committee of St. Jude The Apostle Catholic Church is to develop a quality collection of current and classic books and audiovisual materials related to Catholicism and Christianity in order to provide adults, youth and children with spiritual inspiration, information, and guidance.
St. Jude The Apostle Parish Library is located in the Christian Formation Center. The Library is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM and during Religious Education classes.
All are welcome to browse and enjoy our collection of books, CDs, DVDs and reference materials. For your searching convenience, the card catalogue and computer catalog list all of our library holdings by author, title, and subject.
The circulating collection is self-service and includes an interesting and growing variety of books and audio-visuals. One can find materials on spirituality, prayer, Sacred Scripture, the sacraments, family life, Church history, art, biography, fiction, and literature.
The library can be enjoyed by the whole family. A special section for children and youth includes age-appropriate books and DVD's.
The Library offers two copies of each of the books being discussed by the Parish Book Club. Please call the Christian Formation Office for the list of the current year's selections.
In addition to the circulating materials, we have a non-circulating reference section, which includes encyclopedias, Bibles, concordances and periodicals.
All materials except reference books may be checked out for a period of 3 weeks. It can be renewed unless someone is waiting to check it out.
The Library Committee meets 4 times a year on the second Wednesday of January, April, July, and October from 9:00-10:30 AM in the Christian Formation Center. Throughout the year we meet 4 to 6 times to work in the library, filing cards, shelving books, covering books, and whatever else is needed to maintain the library.
New volunteers are always welcome. If you are interested in learning more about the committee call Dorothy Cartagena at 302-644-8891.
St. Jude The Apostle Catholic Church Library Donation Policy
The Committee expresses its appreciation for the generosity of the many parishioners and other individuals who have offered donations of books, audiovisual materials, monetary gifts, furniture, supplies, and “adopted” books for our library. As a result, our library has a wonderful array of topics for you to enjoy and bookshelves that are almost filled to capacity.
Due to limited space, the Committee has developed the following criteria for donated items:
- An item must have a copyright date no older than 10 years from the present date. A religious classic should have a current reprint date, within the past 10 years. Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis upon the approval of the Library Committee.
- The Library does not accept cassette recordings, VHS, videotapes, magazines or pamphlets.
- The Library will keep no more than 2 copies of the same title. Exceptions may be made on the recommendation of the Christian Formation Director and the approval of the Library Committee.
- Items concerning Catholic faith and morals must have an Imprimatur andNihil Obstat, the official sanction of the Catholic Church.
- Items must not have any markings, underlining, highlighting, or pages that are yellowed.
- Items must be clean and in a condition that would be inviting to users.