The Code of Canon Law (Canon 536) states that the bishop, after listening to his priests' council, may require that parishes in his diocese have pastoral councils. Such councils are to function according to the norms and guidelines established by the bishop. These indicate the bishop’s will for pastoral councils in the diocese. In the Diocese of Wilmington pastoral councils have been in place since the close of Vatican II. It is required that every parish in the Diocese of Wilmington has a functioning parish pastoral council. Each council is to have a constitution and a set of by-laws which are to be drafted according to these diocesan norms and guidelines.
Purpose & Function:
- Help the pastor identify pastoral needs in the parish.
- Assist the pastor with planning pastoral programs and to improve pastoral services.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of existing programs and services with a view to their improvement, or at times, their substitution or termination.
- Primary advisory body for the pastor.
- Elected members of the parish by the parishioners and appointed by the pastor.
- Functions as the spokes in the wheel of the parish.
- Stands ready to assist the pastor in any and all matters which are brought to its attention.
- Offers opinions sincerely after careful thought, deliberation prayer and all times in a spirit of collaboration and charity.
What Is Required To Be A Member Of The Pastoral Council?
- Must be a confirmed member of the parish.
- Apply to run for the pastoral council.
- Make a three year commitment
- Must be regularly practicing the faith
- Desire to make a change and/or impact the parish.
- Capable of writing reports from the various ministries.
- Familiarization with a computer.
- Capable of attending two monthly meetings
- Act as the liaison and/or ambassador from the pastoral council to other parish ministries.
Why be a member of The Pastoral Council
- The privilege and honor to be elected from my fellow parishioners of the parish to represent them.
- Receiving first hand information regarding what is happening in the parish
- Active part in the decision making for the future of the parish.
- Apply your God given talents so that others may benefit.
The members of the Pastoral Council at St. Jude’s wish to thank each of you for taking your time to read this information.
We urgently seek new members to become members of the Pastoral Council for next year as well as years in the future.
We invite all members of the parish to attend our regularly scheduled meetings the third Tuesday of each month, starting at 7:00 P.M. in the Religious Education Center.
If there are any other questions that you may have, regarding the Pastoral Council, please contact any member of the Pastoral Council.
There names are listed on the leadership board in the church vestibule.
May God Bless Us As We Move Forward!
PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL
President: Fr. Brian Lewis 644-7300 [email protected]
Executive Officer: Clare Johnson 645-7113 [email protected]
Secretary: Susan Malec 609-529-3750 [email protected]
AT LARGE :
Liaison from FC: Bob Clark 947-9437 [email protected]
Donna Cafalka 908-229-0945 donna[email protected]
Ann Dommes 260-9579 [email protected]
Dr. Gloria Lester 645-5888 [email protected]
Susan Malec 609-529-3750 [email protected]
Celine Mallonee 604-4840 [email protected]
Donna Pinkas 644-1232 [email protected]
Joan Tracy 703-6320 [email protected]
Ex Officio: Deacon Al Barros 644-7300 [email protected]