Ministry of Social Concerns
Ministry of Social Concerns
An Invitation to Serve
Inspired by the values of the Gospel and anchored in prayer and the social teachings of the Catholic Church, the Ministry of Social Concerns (MoSC) serves the parish community as a resource for promoting and implementing works of charity and justice.
We are committed to bringing the Gospel of Our Lord to life by:
- Grounding its ministries in the Biblical and theological foundations of Catholic social teaching and providing related educational opportunities.
- Supporting social justice efforts locally, nationally, and internationally.
Ministry of Social Concerns planning meetings are held at 1:00 pm on the first Tuesday of February, March, April, May, September, October, and November in the Christian Formation Center. Other meetings are held occasionally as needed.
To learn more about the Ministry of Social Concerns, please:
- Join us at one of our meetings OR
- Call the parish main office at 302-644-7300 OR
- Print and complete the interest form (found at the end of this section) and place it in the collection basket or drop it off at the office.
The Ministry of Social Concerns Programs
- Educates members of the community about social concerns and political responsibility.
- Joins with others in contacting state and local legislators to promote Catholic Church positions on pending legislation.
- Extends comfort by sending a sympathy card to those who have lost a loved one.
- Provides greeters at visitation and funeral Masses at the Church.
EXTRAORDINARY MINISTERS TO SICK
- Serves the Catholic patients at Beebe Medical Center with daily Communion.
- Serves Harbor Health Care and The Moorings senior community with monthly Mass and weekly Communion.
- Provides Communion to homebound parishioners as needed.
- Provides healthy lifestyle information via the weekly bulletin.
- Coordinates yearly fall flu shot clinic.
- Provides support and information for caretakers of dementia/Alzheimer’s patients through monthly meetings.
- Initiates activities to broaden community access to pertinent health information and programs.
- Participates in parish projects through supportive activities.
- Coordinates annual parish Stockings for Soldiers campaign.
- Coordinates meals for residents of Casa San Francisco and Lighthouse for Broken Wings year-round.
- Coordinates meals for winter residents of temporary shelters sponsored by “A Sheltering Heart.”
- Assists with other needs of homeless through special donation programs.
PRAYER SHAWL GROUP
- Knits and crochets prayer shawls and other items for the homebound and residents of nursing homes.
- Informs, educates, and promotes awareness on abortion, euthanasia, death penalty, and stem cell research.
- Coordinates initiatives to protect all human life from conception to natural death (eg.,March for Life, Prayer Chain).
- Coordinates the annual Baby Bottle Campaign and Baby Shower collections to support Sussex Pregnancy Center.
SAN MARCOS HEALTH CENTER
- Provides support for the San Marcos Health Center in Guatemala through donations of supplies and funds.
- Advent Giving Tree program assists families in need with gift cards and gifts at Christmas.
- Coordinates collection of knitted hats and scarves included in welcome packets provided to sailors visiting the port of Wilmington by Seamen’s Center.
- Other programs throughout the year to assist with holiday and special needs.
WIDOWS & WIDOWERS
- Provides fellowship and support for widows and widowers through monthly lunches and other social activities.
MINISTRY OF SOCIAL CONCERNS