Ministry of Social Concerns
The Social Concerns committee of St. Jude the Apostle parish offers many and varied opportunities to carry out the Lord’s mandate to serve our brothers and sisters. If the Lord is calling you to one of the ministries outlined below, please contact Pieta Shukwit at 302-945-2059 or [email protected] for information. All committees welcome new members.
- Join with others in visiting state and local legislators
- Write, phone or email legislators when needed
- Help with advocacy phone tree.
- Attend issue support gatherings.
Prayer Shawl Ministry – knit/crochet for homebound or nursing home residents.
- Greeters at funeral homes/funeral masses
- Send Cards to the bereaved family
- Help at funeral masses
- Determine health needs in the community
- Help with Parish health projects
- Assist with health screenings
- Help with health information sessions
Dementia Caregivers' Support Group – holds monthly meetings to provide support for caregivers.
Separated and Divorced Catholics – provides informational support programs
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion to the Sick – provides Holy Communion to those homebound, or at Beebe Hospital, Harbor Healthcare or The Moorings.
Homeless Ministry – provides meals or parts of meals to those at Immanuel shelter (Dec – April), Casa San Francisco (Milton) and Lighthouse for Broken Wings (Harbeson).
Respect Life Ministry – supports protection of all human life and informs and educates parishioners on issues of right to life from conception to natural death.
- Inform, educate and promote awareness on abortion, euthanasia, death penalty and embryonic stem cell research.
- Annual baby bottle campaign. Change for Life.
- Annual March for Life at the Beach
- National & Statewide life chains