Ministry of Social Concerns
Ministry of Social Concerns
An Invitation to Serve
Inspired by the values of the Gospel and anchored in prayer and the social teachings of the Catholic Church, the Ministry of Social Concerns (MoSC) serves the parish community as a resource for promoting and implementing works of charity and justice.
We are committed to bringing the Gospel of Our Lord to life by:
- Grounding its ministries in the Biblical and theological foundations of Catholic social teaching and providing related educational opportunities.
- Supporting social justice efforts locally, nationally, and internationally.
Ministry of Social Concerns planning meetings are held at 1:00 pm on the first Tuesday of February, March, April, May, September, October, and November in the Christian Formation Center. Other meetings are held occasionally as needed.
To learn more about the Ministry of Social Concerns, please:
- Join us at one of our meetings OR
- Call the parish main office at 302-644-7300 OR
- Print and complete the interest form (found at the end of this section) and place it in the collection basket or drop it off at the office.
The Ministry of Social Concerns Programs
- Educates members of the community about social concerns and political responsibility.
- Joins with others in contacting state and local legislators to promote Catholic Church positions on pending legislation.
- Provides overnight shelter for up to 14 unsheltered men from December 1 through March 15 each year with the support of Code Purple of Sussex Co.
- Offers six volunteer opportunities each night during the season and more in sub-ministries including food, clothing, laundry, and bicycles.
FUNERAL CARE & COMFORT
- Extends comfort by sending a sympathy card and prayer booklet to those who have lost a loved one.
- Provides greeters at visitation and funeral Masses at the Church.
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- Provides healthy lifestyle information via the weekly bulletin.
- Coordinates yearly fall flu shot clinic.
- Provides support and information for caretakers of dementia/Alzheimer’s patients through monthly meetings.
- Initiates activities to broaden community access to pertinent health information and programs.
- Participates in parish projects through supportive activities.
HOMELESS MEAL/NEEDS ASSISTANCE
- Coordinates meals for residents of Casa San Francisco, Lighthouse for Broken Wings, and temporary shelters sponsored by “A Sheltering Heart.”
- Assists with other needs of homeless through special donation programs.
PRAYER BLANKET OUTREACH
- Sews small quilts for those with a physical or mental illness so they are “covered in prayer.”
- Recipients are prayed for at Masses, Adorations, and Rosaries.
PRAYER SHAWL GROUP
- Knits/crochets prayer shawls & lap robes for homebound, hospice & dialysis patients, & nursing homes;
and hats & scarves for Seamen’s Center.
- Informs, educates, and promotes awareness on abortion.
- Supports mothers and families in need.
- Coordinates initiatives to protect all human life from conception to natural death (eg.,March for Life, Prayer Chain).
- Coordinates annual Baby Bottle and other collections to support Birthright and area Pregnancy Care Centers.
SAN MARCOS HEALTH CENTER
- Supports the Diocese of San Marcos in Guatemala, a sister parish of the Diocese of Wilmington, with financial assistance to provide medical supplies for those in need.
SPECIAL GIFTING PROGRAMS
- Conducts Advent Giving, Spread the Joy, and other gifting programs as needed.
- Coordinates collection of knitted hats and scarves included in the welcome packets provided to sailors visiting the port of Wilmington Seamen’s Center.
- Coordinates annual parish Stockings for Soldiers campaign.
- Stephen Ministers are lay caregivers who meet weekly with a person experiencing life difficulties to listen, care, pray, and embody God's presence in their life.
- Ministers are currently in training. Meetings with those requesting care are scheduled to begin in 2024.
SOCIAL CONCERNS MINISTRY
Thanks for your interest in the
Social Concerns Ministry programs.
I would like information on the following
Social Concerns Ministry programs:
___ Code Purple
___ Funeral Care and Comfort
___ Health & Wellness
___ Homeless Meals/Needs Assistance
___ Prayer Blanket Outreach
___ Prayer Shawl Group
___ Respect Life
___ San Marcos Health Center
___ Special Gifting Programs
___ Stephen Ministry
Place completed form in collection basket or drop it off at the parish office. Thank you. (2023) OR: